Grandparents and Third-Party Custody/Visitation

In Georgia, grandparents have no explicit legal right to visitation with a grandchild.  However, legal action may be taken to obtain permission to see a grandchild from a child’s parent or parents.  A grandparent who takes legal action to obtain visitation rights may file a Petition for Visitation or join an existing case related to the termination of one parent’s parental rights, child custody or visitation.  

Although there is no guarantee that either of these actions will be successful, in order to gain visitation rights a grandparent must be able to prove that such visitation is “in a child’s best interest.  Additionally, a grandparent must also prove that “a child’s health or welfare would be harmed,” if no visitation is granted.

If you need legal assistance regarding custody and visitation with your grandchildren, contact the law firm of Shadrix, Lane & Parmer, P.C. at 770-830-0809.


Attorneys At Law

At Shadrix, Lane & Parmer, P.C., we understand that our clients come to us when they need real help with issues impacting their lives and their businesses. This is why we do everything we can to ensure that our clients get the best possible resolutions. Whether it is a business matter, divorce, estate-related problem, real estate transaction or criminal charge, we put all of our experience and skill to work to secure the best possible outcome for you.

To find out how our attorneys can provide legal assistance in your particular situation, contact Shadrix, Lane & Parmer, P.C. For the convenience of our clients, we offer flexible office hours by appointment.

Get In Touch

Disclaimer: The use of this form for communication with the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship.